Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Britney's Circus Comes to Madison Square Garden

Last night, I attended my second show of Britney Spears’s amazing tour, The Circus Starring: Britney Spears, which she so kindly brought to New York City for three nights at Madison Square Garden. My first show was back in April when she visited the San Francisco Bay Area, but, after reading about the several tweaks she has made to the show since then, I was still very excited to see her perform again.

Instead of the Pussycat Dolls, Britney welcomed a new batch of performers to open the show. Kristinia DeBarge, One Call, and Jordin Sparks each performed a set before Ms. Spears took the three-ringed stage. I’ve heard Kristinia DeBarge on the radio (how could anyone escape that “Goodbye” song?), and I am a fan of Jordin Sparks, but I was unfamiliar with the group One Call.

I went to the show by myself (only buying one ticket in my frantic race to get a decent seat during pre-sales) so I was a little nervous about being there alone. At the show in Oakland, I went with my friend Kate and her sister so I didn’t feel weird standing up and dancing during the show. I prayed that whoever sat next to me was also a huge Britney fan, ready to sing and dance along. Unfortunately, I sat next to a guy who was probably dragged there by his girlfriend/fiance/wife. Awkward! Once the show started though (and they saw how into it I was) they were actually very chill. The guy even told a rude man blocking our view to move!

The show? It. Was. Amazing. It was easily a thousand times better than when I saw her in Oakland. Britney owned the entire stage, dancing with an energy that fans haven’t seen from her in a long time. Although she’s not back to Onyx-Hotel-Tour Britney, she was pretty damn close. There was a smile on her face from beginning to end. The changes to the show were fantastic, not only adding an excitement to the tour Britney has been doing for almost five months now, but also improving upon some things that could have been better the first time around. For the second night in a row, Britney wore a new and improved, anti-my-pussy-is-hangin’-out gold-plated corset top as she descended to the stage. Her other costume changes were very flattering (although I do miss the original red ringleader jacket), complimenting her already-toned body to the fullest. The remixes of some of the songs (new since the last time I saw her) were great. Also, screens above the stage that showed Britney as she performed were put back, which I’m sure those seated up high appreciated.

Favorite number? Definitely “Get Naked (I Got a Plan)”. Before last night, “Get Naked” was just another Britney song to me. After her amazing performance last night, it has quickly become one of my favorites.

The crowd? I was not expecting a crowd from New York to be so lethargic! I seemed to be the only one in my section standing up, dancing, and singing along. If there was anything that was disappointing about last night, it would be the lack of energy the crowd gave Britney, despite the massive amount she was giving them. Not to say there weren’t thousands of screaming fans, I was just expecting more. Oh well. Maybe the true fans went to the Monday show.

I’m so happy that I was able to see the show last night. It was like Britney Spears welcomed me to New York!

What else? The college/dorm shopping this week so far has been a little frantic. It seems so hard to remember the things I need daily at home that I also need when I’m away at school. I hope it all works out! I ordered new glasses and bought a pair of jeans this afternoon. All I need are shoes, and I’m good to go. Sort of. I still need that mini fridge, too. My roommate moved into our room already, I think. Anxious to move in and meet him this Sunday!

[Via http://davidalmost.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment